Postgraduate Certificate in Surgery
Enhance your surgical career
The PGCert in Surgery is a unique online programme that allows you to study at your own pace over 1-2 years.
You will work towards 60 credits by completing online modules to suit your career path. You will also be able to gain credits by taking selected practical RCS courses.
Find out how it works.
About the PGCert in Surgery
The PGCert in Surgery is a flexible and interactive way to build up invaluable surgical knowledge and skills.
Designed to complement your workplace learning, the modules focus on different aspects of clinical surgery across the specialties.
The PGCert in Surgery is a nationally recognised qualification with all modules developed by experienced surgeons across the specialties. It will support you in preparing for national specialty selection, offering an ideal way to develop your skills while demonstrating your commitment to surgery.
The qualification is mapped to the ISCP syllabus and also aligned to level 7 (postgraduate level) of the QAA’s Framework for Higher Education.
Once enrolled, you can:
- select online modules to complement your personal career path;
- access each of your modules for 6 months, working through them at your own speed;
- study via the innovative RCS eLearning platform – using any device, whenever and wherever it suits you;
- choose to gain further credits by taking selected practical RCS courses (The range and dates of courses in the PGCert in Surgery is subject to availability) ;
- count any credits you have already earned from a PGCert in Surgery online module – or selected RCS courses.
The PGCert in Surgery is designed for FY1-2 and CT1-2.
Completing the PGCert allows you to demonstrate your commitment to surgery and supports your career development:
- If you are at FT level: the PGCert in Surgery is particularly suitable if you’re preparing to take the MRCS exam.
- If you are at CT level: the PGCert in Surgery will enhance your applications for specialty selection.
You can take any of the modules as a standalone online course at any stage of your career.
To be eligible, candidates need to have successfully completed an undergraduate medical degree and have access to an educational / clinical supervisor. Many of the modules within PGCert require the completion and submission of Workplace Based Assessments (WBAs). For more information on WBAs, please consult the ISCP website. If you do not have an Assigned Educational Supervisor (AES) you can use the ISCP guidance to find a suitable alternative, for example within the Case Based Discussion guidance.
The PGCert in Surgery provides the highest standard of surgical education in a cost-effective way, with fees starting at £170 per module.
Once enrolled, you will have up to 2 years to accrue the 60 credits needed to complete the PGCert in Surgery.
You’ll also benefit from:
- access to your personalised PGCert in Surgery dashboard;
- reduced price modules (15% discount on each module);
- access to exclusive RCS anatomy videos;
- access to 6 SURGERY eBooks published by Elsevier;
- 1 year's free membership of the RCS Affiliate scheme (terms and conditions apply).
Please note, enrolment fees are non-refundable.
Online module fees:
You can select which modules you want to take at a pace that suits you.
You will have access to each online module for 6 months.
Your personalised PGCert in Surgery dashboard will show you when access to each module is due to end, plus how many credits you have accrued and your percentage completion of any modules in progress.
Standard fee for modules:
- 3 credit module = £200
- 6 credit module = £300
- 10 credit module = £400
Fee if enrolled on PGCert in Surgery (15% discount):
- 3 credit module = £170
- 6 credit module = £255
- 10 credit module = £340
Fee for RCS members and RCS associates (10% discount):
- 3 credit module = £180
- 6 credit module = £270
- 10 credit module = £360
Only the higher discount applies. Discounts can’t be combined.
For information about our cancellation policy, please see our Terms and Conditions
PGCert in Surgery 'Launchpad' module
You can gain an additional 6 credits by answering at least two of the six series of multiple choice questions (MCQs) based on the SURGERY eBooks, which are sent to you on enrolment.
If you need to, you can extend your PGCert in Surgery access.
Enrolment extension fee: £150 for an additional 6 months.
Module extension fee: from £65 per module for an additional 6 months.
How it works
The PG Cert in Surgery involves completing a series of interactive online modules and assessments within the RCS eLearning platform.
Each one earns you credits, helping you build up the 60 credits needed to achieve the PG Cert in Surgery qualification.
Modules can also be taken on a standalone basis an then you can enrol at any point and use your credits towards the 60 credit total required to complete.
- You need to build up 60 credits to complete the PGCert in Surgery Certificate
- Each online PGCert in Surgery module you complete earns you credits
- You can also add up to 20 credits from selected PGCert in Surgery-associated RCS courses (The range and dates of courses in the PGCert in Surgery is subject to availability)
PGCert in Surgery - associated courses
You can also gain credits towards your PGCert by taking selected practical RCS courses. (The range and dates of courses in the PGCert in Surgery is subject to availability)
If you have already taken 'associated' courses with us, the relevant number of credits will be counted.
For learning outcomes, see individual modules
Benefits of enrolling on the PGCert
The PGCert is a nationally recognised qualification that will enhance your surgical career in many ways. It gives you the opportunity to:
- develop and demonstrate your systematic knowledge in a range of self-selected disciplines;
- gain skills in decision making, problem solving and the management of complex issues;
- improve your skills in self-direction and autonomous learning;
- gain an RCS certificate to support your career development;
- prove your dedication to a career in surgery.
Contact the education team
If you have any questions about the PGCert in Surgey, or any other RCS courses, please get in touch.
The RCS Education Centre in London can be contacted directly on email@example.com
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.