Specialty Skills in Emergency Surgery and Trauma (SSET)
This two-day course will provide you with knowledge and techniques to manage a wide variety of emergency on-call trauma situations.
Led by expert faculty and with a high faculty: participant ratio, the course is taught through a mix of lectures and practical skills workshops.
Using animal tissue you will be able to practise a range of vascular, abdominal and thoracic operative procedures including thoracotomy and DCS bowel resection.
The course is mapped to the ISCP syllabus.
RCS membership entitles you to a 10% discount on this course at partner centres. Find out if you're eligible to join or transfer.
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Describe a standard initial approach (RRIM: Recognition, Resuscitation, Investigation and Management) to the emergency surgery patient
- Apply the RRIM model to the initial care and treatment of patients with:
- Common conditions of the gastro-intestinal system
- Surgical infections
- Vascular emergencies and vascular trauma
- Trauma to the thorax and abdomen
- Demonstrate a range of operative procedures (on an animal model) relevant to the above conditions
- Outline the principles of damage control resuscitation
- Demonstrate improved clinical reasoning and decision-making
- Discuss the role of teamwork and the importance of professionalism in the care and treatment of emergency surgery and trauma patients
Specialty Skills in Emergency Surgery and Trauma combines practical skills station workshops using animal (porcine) models with lectures and case based discussions.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Emergency surgery resuscitation
- Damage control surgery
- Damage control resuscitation
- Upper GI bleed
- Lower GI bleed
- Wound infection
10% discount on this course for RCS member
Members, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
Here is an overview of the programme
Full price: £999.00
RCS England Members/Fellows: £899.10
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
MANCHESTER, United Kingdom
Location:Manchester Surgical Skills and Simulation Centre
University Of Manchester
View in Google Maps
Register your interest
Contact the education team
Need to talk to us about courses or other RCS education services? Please get in touch.
The RCS Education Centre in London can be contacted directly on email@example.com
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.