Specialty Skills in Emergency Surgery and Trauma (SSET)
This two-day course will provide you with knowledge and techniques to manage a wide variety of emergency on-call trauma situations.
Led by expert faculty and with a high faculty: participant ratio, the course is taught through a mix of lectures and practical skills workshops.
Using animal tissue you will be able to practise a range of vascular, abdominal and thoracic operative procedures including thoracotomy and DCS bowel resection.
The course is mapped to the ISCP syllabus.
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Describe a standard initial approach (RRIM: Recognition, Resuscitation, Investigation and Management) to the emergency surgery patient
- Apply the RRIM model to the initial care and treatment of patients with:
- Common conditions of the gastro-intestinal system
- Surgical infections
- Vascular emergencies and vascular trauma
- Trauma to the thorax and abdomen
- Demonstrate a range of operative procedures (on an animal model) relevant to the above conditions
- Outline the principles of damage control resuscitation
- Demonstrate improved clinical reasoning and decision-making
- Discuss the role of teamwork and the importance of professionalism in the care and treatment of emergency surgery and trauma patients
Specialty Skills in Emergency Surgery and Trauma combines practical skills station workshops using animal (porcine) models with lectures and case based discussions.
You will cover a variety of topics during this course, including:
- Emergency surgery resuscitation
- Damage control surgery
- Damage control resuscitation
- Upper GI bleed
- Lower GI bleed
- Wound infection
10% discount on this course for RCS member
Members, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
Here is an overview of the programme
Full price: £815.00
RCS England Members/Fellows: £733.50
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
MANCHESTER, United Kingdom
Location:Manchester Surgical Skills and Simulation Centre
University Of Manchester
View in Google Maps
Register your interest
Contact the education team
If you have a question about this course please don't hesitate to get in touch.
We always aim to respond as soon as possible during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. Please call us with anything urgent.
Telephone: 020 7869 6300
We are available to take calls during our working hours of 8am - 4pm, Monday - Friday. There is a voicemail outside these times.
Fax: 020 7869 6320