Tri-collegiate Membership in Paediatric Dentistry (MPaed Dent)
The Diploma of Membership in Paediatric Dentistry (MPaed Dent) is a tri-collegiate specialty membership exam, run by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd).
Successful completion of the MPaed Dent examination is one criterion along with other non-examination criteria required prior to recommendation for entry onto the specialist list by the relevant deanery/HEE local office in the case of candidates with an NTN.
Extension to examination application window within training
The Joint Meeting of Dental Faculties has agreed to extend the window in which dental specialty trainees can sit surgical Royal College examinations as part of the training programme. Currently, trainees are not able to sit these examinations until six months before they are due to complete training. In future, they will be able to sit up to twelve months before they are due to complete training, provided they have the support of their Training Programme Director. Further details can be found here.
To be eligible to enter for the Diploma examination, all candidates must:
- Provide certified evidence of possession of a primary dental qualification that is acceptable to the Colleges.
- Have completed 24 months of full-time or equivalent part-time training acceptable to the Colleges by the date of the examination. The training should preferably be continuous but in some cases breaks in training may be permitted. The total training period should not normally exceed six years.
Prospective candidates must also fulfill one or more of the following criteria:
- Have satisfactorily completed, by the time of the examination, a minimum of 24 months of a full-time three year training appointment (or part-time equivalent) in a UK training programme as a stipendiary StR who has been awarded a training number.
- A university Masters or Clinical Doctorate degree programme which parallels the training programme completed by an StR i.e. have satisfactorily completed, by the time of the examination, a minimum of 24 months of a full-time three year training appointment (or part-time equivalent).
- Have satisfactorily completed, by the time of the examination, a minimum of 24 months of a full-time three year specialist training appointment (or part-time equivalent) overseas or in the EEA, which has been considered and found to be acceptable to the Colleges.
- Be registered as a Specialist in Paediatric Dentistry in the UK.
If candidates wish to apply under 2 or 3 for entry to the examination, they should submit their portfolio of evidence.
Full details about the eligibility requirements can be found here.
Candidates will be permitted a maximum of four attempts at the examination.
The exam consists of four components. At their first sitting, candidates must attempt all four components. At any subsequent sitting, candidates must attempt all outstanding elements of the exam.
The exam consists of:
- a written paper of three hours duration;
- submission of three case presentations;
- four simulated cases – testing diagnosis and treatment planning;
- a clinical governance project;
- candidates should refer to the document ‘Guidance to Candidates’ which can be downloaded from the college websites or obtained by post from the colleges. This contains further information on the exam structure.
How to apply
Each tri-collegiate membership exam is administered by one of the surgical royal colleges as stated below. Applications should be sent directly to the administering college. For more information on the exam please visit Tri-Collegiate Membership in Paediatric Dentistry - RCS Edinburgh.
Exam documents for download
M Paed blueprint and learning outcomes
M Paed case template
M Paed clinical governance declaration
M Paed candidate trainer declaration
M Paed application form
Example Clinical Governance Project Summary
Example Presentation Clinical Governance Project
Tri Coll M Paed Dent Guide to Candidates May 2018
Tri Coll M Paed Dent Regulations May 2018
Tri Collegiate application form May 2018
TriColl M Paed Dent Further Information on Clinical Governance
TriColl M Paed Dent Appendix A Blueprint
TriColl M Paed Dent Appendix B Clinical Governance Declaration
TriColl M Paed Dent Appendix C Patient Consent form May 2018
TriColl M Paed Dent Appendix D Candidate Trainer Declaration
TriColl M Paed Dent Appendix E Case Matrix May 2018
TriColl M Paed Dent Appendix F Case History Template May 2018
Tri Coll M SCD Guide to Candidates May 2018
Tri Coll M SCD Regs May 2018
Contact the exams department
All dental exam queries (excluding the MFDS) should be emailed to DentalExams@rcseng.ac.uk
All document submissions for eligibility should be emailed to DentalEligibility@rcseng.ac.uk
Candidates should not post any documents to our offices.
Thank you for your enquiry. We will reply to you as soon as possible.
For general exam queries please call 020 7405 3474 - Option 3
Our main switchboard is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.