Planning for your return
Talk with your Occupational Health Service or GP to work out when and how is best for you to return to work.
Depending on the nature of your job, you might want to ask your employer about returning to work on lighter duties at first. This means:
- Spending more time sitting, rather than standing for extended periods or doing lots of walking.
- Doing work that is mostly paperwork, using a computer or telephone.
- Not carrying heavy items any significant distance.
- Avoiding tasks such as prolonged loading or unloading, packing or unpacking.
If you have an HR Department at work, they will be able to advise you regarding sick pay or any other benefit you may be entitled to during your time off. Alternatively, talk directly with your employer.
3 Golden rules for a speedy recovery:
- Stay active
- Keep a normal daily routine
- Keep social contact with people