Robotic-assisted surgery research pump-priming grant awards
Deadline for applications: 15 December 2023
In 2023, the Royal College of Surgeons of England is offering a one-off programme of awards, funded by the Saven Research and Development Programme, to consultants (appointed since 2017), senior lecturers, SAS doctors and post-doctoral trainees in surgery who are working at hospitals and universities within the UK. The aim of the awards is to give assistance to such surgeons undertaking research into robotic-assisted surgery, usually in the early stages of their independent research careers.
Awards will be made competitively and may be used flexibly to support the award holder’s research programme.
Nature of award
The award is up to £30,000 over two years and must be used exclusively to support the award holder’s own research and may not be used for their own personal salaries. They may be used, among other things, for small items of equipment, consumables or technical assistance.
At the end of the award period, the award holder will be required to write a short report on the use they have made of the award.
All applicants must comply with the following:
- Must be members or fellows of RCS England.
- Successful applicants must remain in good standing with their membership fees throughout the tenure of the award.
- Must not have received a pump priming grant from RCS England before.
- Must be consultants, senior lecturers, post-doctoral trainees or SAS doctors in the early stages of their independent research careers.
- Must be working in surgery in the UK.
Terms and Conditions
Adjudication is by members of the Research and Quality Committee, advised by its panel of external referees including experts in robotic assisted surgery. Consideration will be given to the research potential of the applicant/application.
Preference will be given to applicants wishing to explore novel and original lines of research that may not yet be at a stage suitable for support from the major funding bodies. Applications for support of research projects, which are already well-funded, will be given a lower priority.
Once the award has been made, the successful candidate should invoice RCS England for the sum agreed.
Presentations and publications
The Royal College of Surgeons of England and the Saven Research and Development programme should be acknowledged at all presentations and in publications. From time to time the award holder may be asked to make presentations on behalf of RCS England.
How to Apply
- Application form, completed in typescript.
- A supporting letter from your Head of Department. This letter should make clear the degree of departmental support which will be made available to you.
- A curriculum vitae of up to two pages.
- A list of your publications.
For any questions relating to this please contact: email@example.com