Please enter both an email address and a password.

Account login

Need to reset your password?  Enter the email address which you used to register on this site (or your membership/contact number) and we'll email you a link to reset it. You must complete the process within 2hrs of receiving the link.

We've sent you an email

An email has been sent to Simply follow the link provided in the email to reset your password. If you can't find the email please check your junk or spam folder and add to your address book.

EU graduates and Dental Foundation Training

Most newly qualified dental graduates in the UK apply to undertake a year of Foundation Training immediately after graduating from dental school. These training posts have typically been for one year in selected dental practices under the auspices of the post graduate dental deanery for that region of the UK. The posts last for one year and are paid. At the end of the year the newly qualified dentists were able to apply for a performers number.

DF posts are for one year usually beginning in September, but are advertised 6-8 months earlier. In DF posts the trainee is expected to consolidate the practical experience gained at dental school and improve and broaden the scope of that experience. During the year, trainees must attend 30 study days arranged by the Deanery that provide an educational programme addressing the major curriculum areas of Foundation Training. Foundation Trainees should also complete specific educational activities as required by the Deanery (eg, clinical case presentations, research and audit projects).

Although graduates from the EU who have full registration with the General Dental Council are exempt from DF, the clinical experience of all aspects of working within the NHS is invaluable. The training sets the ethos of a lifetime of CPD and creates practitioners who are aware of their strengths and weaknesses.

What if I don't have DF training?

British citizens who have qualified as a dentist from an EEA dental school must obtain full registration with the GDC before starting work. You may also be required to undertake competency assessment or an NHS Induction Course.

Many countries in Europe also offer a similar year of postgraduate experience after qualifying as a dentist. If you are thinking of coming to the UK to work you would be well advised to obtain as much postgraduate experience in the country of graduation as possible. There is competitive entry to DF and you may be disappointed if you are unable to obtain a training post in the UK.

Performer Number for (non UK) European Union Citizens who have graduated as a dentist in the EEA

If you are planning to work in general dental practice in the NHS in the UK you will require a performer number.

If you have never worked in the UK you may be required to undergo a competency assessment and/or a period of study in order to introduce you to working in the NHS in the UK.

You will need to have some or all of the following documents:

  • Evidence of full registration with the General Dental Council (GDC)
  • Passport
  • Offer of employment from an NHS dentist
  • Driving License (if you have one) with photo identification
  • Birth certificate
  • A recent utility bill or bank statement (no more than 3 months old)
  • Original university degree certificates
  • Vocational Training certificate (if you have completed VT)
  • English Language competency certificate
  • Certificate of good standing from medical / dental regulatory body from the country where you previously worked
  • Certificate of good conduct from the police authority in the country where you previously lived and worked
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Criminal Records Bureau check
  • Certificate of medical insurance indemnity

Share this page: