Information for Overseas-Qualified Dentists
Overseas-qualified dentists are defined as those who have taken their primary dental qualification outside the European Economic Area (EEA). The EEA covers European Union countries and most countries of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA).
Overseas-qualified dentists who wish to continue their training or to take postgraduate qualifications in the UK must fulfil certain essential requirements. Before setting out to travel to the UK, overseas dentists are strongly advised to find out about the following:
- UK entry requirements
- Asylum seekers and refugees
- English language abilities
- Registration with the General Dental Council (GDC)
- The Overseas Registration Examination (ORE) (formerly the International Qualifying Examination (IQE)) or the LDS.
- Employment in the UK
- British Dental Association and Journal
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Personal development plan
- Considerations before coming to the UK