Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a shortage of dentists in the UK and will it be easy for me to find a job?
There is no shortage of dentists in the UK as there has been an increase in the number of dentists being trained in UK dental schools. In addition many dentists who qualified in European dental schools have been coming to the UK to look for work.
Does the NHS employ dentists from outside the UK?
Will I need a visa to work in the UK?
What if I am an asylum seeker or refugee?
See the section on refugees and asylum seekers in the main menu.
I have come to the UK to work and have just passed the ORE or LDS examination. Can I start working?
No, registration with the GDC and immigration to the UK are two separate issues. Inclusion on the dentists’ register does not entitle you to stay in the UK. Check your status on the UK Border Agency website.
Does the UK limit the number of migrants from outside the EEA?
What is the new points-based system for immigration?
The system consists of five tiers with each tier having a different points requirement. The tiers are:
- Tier 1 - highly skilled migrant.
- Tier 2 - skilled workers with a job offer (subject to the resident labour market test unless the job is on the shortage occupation list). Please note there are currently no occupations within dentistry that satisfy the shortage occupation category for entry to the UK.
- Tier 3 - low skilled migrants - filling specific labour shortages.
- Tier 4 – students - including undergraduate and postgraduate.
- Tier 5 - temporary workers – including Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) programs, such as the Medical Training Initiative (MTI)
Some tiers are closed or have limited entry. It is important to check the UKBA website at frequent intervals.
What restrictions might I have on a Tier 1 Visa?
What can I apply for on a Tier 2 Visa?
You will only be eligible for a tier 2 Visa if you have applied for a post for which the employer has been able to show that there is no EEA citizen eligible - ie that it has passed the resident labour market test.
My spouse/partner has a Tier 2 Visa. Can I apply for training posts on temporary registration?
If I am an overseas undergraduate student who has just qualified BDS from a UK dental school under a Tier 4 Visa. Can I apply for a Dental Foundation Training post in the UK?
If I am an overseas postgraduate student who has just qualified with a master’s degree from a UK dental school under a Tier 4 Visa. Can I stay in the UK?
The regulations regarding the post study visa will change in April 2012. Please check the UKBA website.