3.3.1 Medical students
As part of your responsibilities to medical students, you should:
- Encourage and support medical students.
- Involve yourself actively in teaching if students are attached to your team.
- Be aware of the professional competencies to be achieved by the students.
- Explain to patients that they have the right to refuse to participate in student teaching and reassure patients that such a refusal will not prejudice their treatment in any way.
- Ensure that students are introduced to patients.
- Ensure that patient privacy and confidentiality are maintained and that students understand and respect this requirement.
- Ensure that when a student is involved in specific examinations or procedures on patients under general anaesthesia, written consent has been obtained on the full extent of the student’s involvement.