North West Surgical Trials Centre (NWSTC)
The North West Surgical Trials Centre (NWSTC) is led by Professor Nigel Bundred and is one of five RCS surgical trials centres that have been established. Core funding from the RCS and Cancer Research UK has been provided to support the development of new surgical trials.
The NWSTC represents a collaboration between the University of Liverpool and the University of Manchester, and through their trials units, Liverpool Cancer Trials Unit (LCTU) and the MASCH unit.
The NWSTC is embedded in the LCTU and aims to:
- develop and deliver world class surgical trials (including translational research) that will improve the outcomes for surgical patients;
- develop and provide training for new surgical researchers;
- increase surgical trial recruitment in northwest England;
- make access to clinical trials easier for patients;
- develop reliable data on surgical trials;
- developing a surgical trainee collaborative in northwest England.