Good Practice Guidance
The RCS is carrying out a programme of work that focuses on developing brief, practical guidance and accompanying resources to support surgeons on key aspects of their practice. Our Good Practice Guides elaborate on the principles of our core standards document, Good Surgical Practice, and aim to facilitate its implementation.
Consent guide & podcasts
Our guide examines the doctor-patient relationship and the process of informed consent, following a landmark Supreme Court ruling.
In this section, you can find guidance on the following topics:
- Outpatient clinics: principles of good practice for outpatient departments.
- Using data to support change in clinical practice: guidance for surgeons and surgical services on the effective collection and interpretation of healthcare data.
- Consent: Supported Decision -Making: principles for working with patients through a process of supported decision-making.
- Caring for Patients Who Refuse Blood: A guide to good practice for the surgical management of Jehovah’s Witnesses and other patients who decline transfusion
- Duty of Candour: Ensuring clinicians are open and honest with patients when things go wrong with their care.
- Morbidity and Mortality Meetings
- The High Performing Surgical Team
- Surgical Leadership
Upcoming guidance in 2017:
- Surgical Care Team