Please enter both an email address and a password.

Account login

Need to reset your password?  Enter the email address which you used to register on this site (or your membership/contact number) and we'll email you a link to reset it. You must complete the process within 2hrs of receiving the link.

We've sent you an email

An email has been sent to Simply follow the link provided in the email to reset your password. If you can't find the email please check your junk or spam folder and add to your address book.

VT by equivalence

Many overseas dentists, who require a visa to enter the UK, will have a stamp on their passport stating "No recourse to doctor or dentist training". An overseas dentist who has this stamped on their visa can enter the UK but cannot apply for, or be appointed to, any training posts. This includes all hospital training posts and Foundation Training (FT), formerly Vocational Training (VT). This regulation must be adhered to even if the overseas dentist has passed the ORE or LDS and has full registration with the GDC.

Overseas trained dentists who have "no recourse to doctor or dentist training" stamped on their visa and have full registration with the GDC and have the correct visa to work in the UK and who have had clinical experience in their home countries could (if successful at interview by the practice) be considered for a programme of supervised employment in an NHS dental practice followed by assessment of competencies by their post graduate dean. The clinical experience from their CV/log books from their home countries and competencies evidenced in portfolios compiled whilst working in the UK would then be considered and assessed by the postgraduate dean as FT equivalence. Foundation training in the UK is required to be 12 months full time duration, supervised by an approved trainer. Training by equivalence may be shorter because the overseas dentist already has some clinical experience.

The pathway of FT equivalence or FT should be seen as a route for experienced overseas clinicians who have passed ORE or LDS and need possibly some further clinical training in a UK general practice environment and assistance before working in the NHS.

Clinical experience gained overseas should be well documented to enable equivalence to be established and allow the postgraduate dean to design an appropriate programme for the overseas dentist to work in NHS general practice dentistry in the UK. Please remember that in the EEA the undergraduate dentistry course is five years. Candidates should be advised to read the PDF paper by Professor Alison Bullock on the COPDEND website for recommendations of the process. The appendices in this document contain information which would be useful for applicants.

Share this page: