Advanced Trauma Nursing Course ATNC Instructor
This immersive two-day course trains new ATNC instructors, helping to sustain and grow the ATNC programme in the UK. In addition to the two-day face to face component, there is also mandatory pre-course e-learning.
The course is designed specifically for those who have been nominated as having ATNC Instructor Potential (IP) and focuses on the methods, standards, and processes involved in teaching the ATNC alongside the ATLS® course. To strengthen the multi-professional teaching, ATNC IPs train with ATLS® IPs on the course.
Upon completion, you will have the necessary skills to develop a positive learning environment and act as a supportive mentor to participants on the ATNC Provider course.
Our priority is to provide training for nurses working for the NHS. Due to demand and limited availability we do not accept applications from nurses working overseas.
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
This course is suitable for those who have been nominated as having ATNC Instructor Potential (IP) within the last two years and meet the eligibility requirements.
This status can only be gained after taking the ATNC Provider course.
After passing this course, you will achieve Instructor Candidate status.
You should then be able to fully complete your ATNC Instructor training by teaching on the ATNC Provider as a member of faculty.
You will need to do this within a year of completing your ATNC Instructor course.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the educational foundations underlying the ATNC course
- Explain how to develop a positive learning environment
- Use objectives and outcomes effectively
- Facilitate different types of learning
- Create interactivity in teaching and learning
- Adopt a systematic approach to planning and teaching interactive scenarios sessions
- Discuss how improvements can be made to other’s teaching, through feedback and analysis of sessions
- Discuss and plan the requirements needed for ATNC assessments
- State the roles and responsibilities of the ATNC instructor
- Set up and teach a skill station using the 4 step technique
- Set up and manage a practice and a test moulage station
- Describe how to mentor a participant on a provider course
- Record and feedback participant’s results
This highly interactive course combines discussions, tutorials, skills teaching and simulated patient management scenarios (moulage).There are continual assessments throughout the course, where you will be able to demonstrate your skills in:
- Developing questions for a brief scenario and leading an interactive discussion
- Managing a moulage scenario
- Teaching a skill
- You will have to complete the MCQ test on the course.
You will receive access to pre-course resources on the RCS VLE 6-8 weeks before the course. Your VLE log in details will be emailed to you (to the email address registered on your RCS account).
Pre-course preparation is essential.
In the event of unsuccessful completion
If you are unsuccessful on the course you will not be able to attend another Instructor course within 2 year period. Following the attendance on the course, your instructor potential status will be terminated and in order to apply for another instructor course you will have to gain Instructor potential status again.
You will cover a variety of topics specific to teaching ATNC during this course, including:
- Principles of learning
- Effective critique and feedback
- Teaching techniques
- Set, dialogue, and closure
- Skills teaching using the 4 stage technique
- Fundamentals of assessment
- Questioning for interactive scenario
- Initial assessment (moulage)
There are currently no dates available for this course
Register your interest
Further information and queries
You can get in touch with us by emailing email@example.com
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8:30am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.