Training the Trainers: Developing Teaching Skills
This page is for the two-day Training the Trainers course in Hull only. For the updated, one-day blended edition of TtT, please click here for course dates and locations.
This popular interactive course will deepen your skills as a trainer, improving your approach to planning, developing, delivering and evaluating surgical training.
Taught over two days through a mix of practical sessions and two e-learning components, Training the Trainers will enhance your skills as a surgical educator and prepare you for dealing with some of the common challenges you may encounter as a trainer.
- 2 days
- 12.00 CPD Points
This course is suitable for: FY1-2; CT1-2; ST3-8, consultants and SAS grades.
This course is designed for anyone involved in the delivery of surgical training, either locally or as a member of faculty on RCS courses.
After attending this course, you should be able to:
- Identify the stages of learning
- Recognise both facilitators and barriers to learning
- Discuss the impact of learning style on teaching and learning
- Describe and use a four step approach to teaching a practical skill
- Describe a model of the learning process (Kolb’s learning cycle)
- Explain the benefits of reflection and identify opportunities to use reflection as a learning tool, plus use a model of reflection to improve your teaching practice
- Differentiate between different types of assessment
- Describe and use a model of effective feedback
- Discuss reasons for, and ways of dealing with, some of the common challenges you might encounter in your work as a trainer
This multi-format course is made up of three parts:
- An e-learning component is to complete a month before the face-to-face days
- Two face-to-face days, covering a range of practical exercises, plus informal presentations and group discussions
- An e-learning component to complete a month after the face-to-face days
You will cover a variety of topics during each component of this course.
Component 1 - e-Learning
This component takes up to 7 hours to complete. It covers:
- Key educational theory concepts and how these apply to clinical education
- Short tests to consolidate your knowledge of these concepts
- Preparation for Component 2
Component 2 – Two face-to-face days
- A deeper look at the educational theories underpinning adult learning and how these apply to surgical education
- One-to-one instruction, varied teaching methods and an introduction to assessment
The participants deliver a one-to-one training session and a seven minute talk. This needs to be prepared in advance.
Component 3 - e-Learning
This component takes up to 4 hours to complete. It covers:
- Review of your teaching practice and of the feedback you were given
- How to plan and implement change in your teaching
- Reflection on the changes in your teaching practice and the impact of these changes
Participants deliver one-to-one training and a seven minute talk. This needs to be prepared in advance.
Registration closure dates
Please note that registration for this course closes one week before the start of the face-to-face component. This is to ensure you have time to complete the first eLearning component before the face-to-face days.
10% discount on this course for RCS members
Members (not Affiliate), Fellows and Associates benefit from a 10% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking.
Find out more about joining today.
PGCert in Surgery Associated Course
You will be awarded 4 credits toward the Postgraduate Certificate in Surgery upon booking this course. (The inclusion of courses in the PGCert in Surgery is subject to availability)
Approved Regional Courses
Full price: £585
Please note, for courses held at the College, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at our cancellation policy first.
For regional and international course payments and terms & conditions, please contact the relevant centre.
Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Location:Hull Royal Infirmary
Instructions:Mrs J Backhouse, email@example.com, 01482 605385 View in Google Maps
Full price: £585
Register your interest
Further information and queries
You can get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org Please quote your RCS account number in all correspondence.
If your enquiry relates to a course please provide the course name and dates.
We will endeavour to reply to you as soon as possible. Usually this is within a couple of days. Please note we do not work weekends.
Call 020 7869 6300 to talk with a member of our team.
We are available to answer calls during our working hours of 8.30am–5:00pm, Monday–Friday and there is a voicemail outside this time.