Excellence in Surgical Supervision (ESS)
This blended learning course, builds upon the legacy of TrACE (Training and Assessment in the Clinical Environment). ESS emphasises the importance of the supervision relationship and the skills that underpin excellent surgical supervision, training and assessment.
Excellence in Surgical Supervision is highly interactive, drawing on the experience of participants and focuses on practical guidance. It explores the key stages of the supervision journey, including learning agreements, workplace-based assessments, reports and an overview of ARCPs, as well as tools for managing both poor and excelling trainee performance.
Excellence in Surgical Supervision is mapped against the GMC Standards for the Recognition and Approval of Trainers and explores the GMC Generic Professional Capabilities framework used to describe non-technical behaviours.
RCS membership entitles you to a 10% discount on this course at RCS partner centres. Find out if you're eligible to join or transfer.
- 1 days
- 6.00 CPD Points
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the structure of surgical training and the key educational roles within it.
- Develop effective training relationships while supporting shared expectations, comprising the ability to:
- Describe effective workplace-based assessments and deliver constructive feedback.
- Write effective supervisory reports, incorporating Generic Professional Capabilities (GPC) terminology.
- Manage excelling and underperforming trainees.
- Describe the Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP) process.
- Assimilate the key features of the new curricula into your supervisory practice.
This multi-format course combines e-learning, interactive seminars and a range of practical activities.
Attendance at the face to face course is dependent on completion of some preliminary e-learning delivered via the RCS virtual learning environment.
The course begins with e-learning that will be drawn upon during the group activities on the day. The e-learning comprises of:
- educational roles and training structures;
- enhancing trainee performance - work based assessments;
- unconscious bias;
- together with relevant documents.
Mapped to GMC Standards for the Recognition and Approval of Trainers
Excellence in Surgical Supervision is mapped against the GMC Standards for the Recognition and Approval of Trainers. It provides an approved route to the required accreditation for being a recognised clinical or educational supervisor.
Please take a look at a sample ESS programme to see what you can expect on the day.
Royal College Of Surgeons Courses
Full price: £399.00
RCS England Members/Fellows: £359.10
Please note, we require full payment upon booking. Take a look at the cancellation policy first.
LONDON, United Kingdom
Location:Etc Venues (Prospero House)
View in Google Maps
Not got an account?
Don't worry, continue and we'll create an account for you.Continue to Booking
Register your interest