Hybrid Training the Trainers: Developing Educator Skills
Why take this course?
This intensive blended learning course will deepen your skills as an educator, improving your approach to planning, developing, delivering and evaluating.
A mix of e-learning, an online 1-2-1 session and in-person practical sessions, Hybrid Training the Trainers will enhance your skills as a clinical educator and prepare you for dealing with some of the common challenges you may encounter in your surgical career.
- Extensive e-learning modules
- 1-2-1 session with faculty prior to face-to-face day (4th May 2023)
- Face-to-face training day
- Follow-up e-learning
- Follow-up virtual group sessions
This course has been updated to include an interactive e-learning tool which will enhance your learning experience and reduce the number of days attending the practical sessions from two to one. Participants will also benefit from attending a 1-2-1 session with faculty on 4th May, to help you further prepare for their micro-teaching. There will also be a series of group follow-up sessions after each face-to-face session in addition to further e-learning modules.
Hybrid Training the Trainers has been designed specifically for clinicians and the unique environment they work within. Every aspect of this multi-modal course has been developed by clinicians and educators for clinical educators. Other, generic teaching skills courses do not compare.
The course is currently going through the RCS England accreditation process and is expected to be worth 12 CPD points.
RCS membership entitles you to a 40% discount on the standard price. Find out if you're eligible to join or transfer.
- 1 day days
This course is suitable for all career grades: FY1-2, CT1-2. ST1-8, consultants, SAS/LED grades and the extended surgical team.
This course is designed for anyone involved in the delivery of surgical training, either locally or as a member of the RCS faculty.
Overall course learning outcomes:
- Recognise the role and professional responsibility of the trainer in surgical or dental education (the inclusion of dental is new and up for debate)
- Apply elements of adult educational theory to achieve effective outcomes for participants
- Recognise opportunities and challenges of teaching
- Deliver and receive effective feedback
- Describe the purpose and effective use of the assessment
- Use a structured 4-stage model to teach a psychomotor skill
- Apply teaching in face-to-face and virtual environments
You will cover a variety of topics during each component of this course.
Component 1: e-learning and 1-2-1 online session
- Key educational theory concepts, and how these apply to clinical education delivery and evaluation
- Short tests to consolidate your knowledge of these concepts
- Preparation for microteaching on the face-to-face day
- A short video on examples of microteaching
- A 30-minute virtual session with a member of the faculty to further prepare for your microteaching
Component 2: Face-to-face day
- A deeper look at the educational theories underpinning adult learning and how these apply to surgical education
- One-to-one instruction, varied teaching methods and an introduction to assessment
- You will deliver a one-to-one training session and a seven-minute talk. This needs to be prepared in advance.
Component 3: e-learning and post course group online sessions
- Review of your teaching practice and the feedback you were given
- How to plan and implement change in your teaching
- Reflection on the changes in your teaching practice and the impact of these changes
- One post course group online drop-in session with Faculty
Take a look at a sample Hybrid Training the Trainers programme
Please note that registration for this course closes one week before the start of the face-to-face component. This is to ensure you have time to complete the first e-learning component before the face-to-face day. Please note that if you register after the scheduled 1-2-1 sessions with faculty, you may not be able to access these.
40% discount on this course for RCS members
Members, Affiliates, Fellows and Associates benefit from a 40% discount on this course when held at our Education Centre in London.
Your discount will be applied automatically when booking. Please contact us if you do not think it has been applied. Find out more about joining today.
PGCert in Surgery Associated Course
You will be awarded 4 credits toward the Postgraduate Certificate in Surgery upon booking this course. (The inclusion of courses in the PGCert in Surgery is subject to availability)
There are currently no dates available for this course
Register your interest