Help us improve surgery worldwide
19 Nov 2018
The International Surgical Training Programme (ISTP) was established by the Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) to provide non-EU/EEA doctors (also known as International Medical Graduates) with an opportunity to come to the UK to undertake specialist training within an NHS Trust for a maximum of two years. The programme enables the RCS to facilitate sponsorship for GMC registration and to support the Tier 5 Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) visa category application process for overseas surgeons.
Since 2014, the RCS has worked with more than 80 NHS Trusts and placed over 200 surgeons from a range of countries including India, Egypt, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, Kenya and Uganda.
As part of the programme's development and expansion, the RCS is seeking to appoint a number of Clinical Leads across the surgical specialities. This is an honorary role that will play an important and strategic role in shaping, championing and supporting the delivery of the programme.
As an ISTP Clinical Lead, you will:
- Play an integral role in the development and implementation of the ISTP in the relevant surgical specialities
- Be a member of the 'ISTP Clinical Leads Network'
- Act as a key point of contact on UK training matters relating to ISTP surgeons
- Engage with key national and international stakeholders
- Promote the values and benefits of the ISTP
- Work to identify and eliminate any barriers or challenges faced by IMGs
We are seeking enthusiastic UK-based fellows who have previous experience of postgraduate education and a demonstrable interest in training opportunities for overseas surgeons.
To express your interest, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 11 January 2019:
- CV (no more than 6 sides of A4)
- Supporting statement outlining your suitability for the role (no more than 500 words)
For further information, or specific enquiries regarding the role, please contact Erinn Middleton on email@example.com